Friday, March 18th, 2011 | Author:

As a political science major, all this talk about how the FDA (and other influential members of government) is essentially run by former Monsanto executives is especially disturbing to me. Monsanto’s product is seeds that are genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Monsanto produces 90% of the world’s GMO seeds for farming.

While it may seem like Monsanto is a bully that no one wants to stand up to, The Organic Consumers Association is a strong organization trying to expose the truth about non-organic foods/farming techniques. They take a harsh stance against Monsanto. The Organic Consumers Association posted this very enlightening article: ten-things-monsanto does not want you to know.

The documentary Food, Inc. really nailed the truth about Monsanto…which is that it’s evil/unhealthy! It seems like it is forcing small farmers to make a choice: use our product, or we’ll run you out of business one way or another. This article summarizes the extent that Monsanto has penetrated our government. Dear government, aren’t you supposed to be protecting us!?

It seems as if Monsanto is everywhere in our government: poisoning our justice system (Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas…former Monsanto lawyer), infecting government executive positions (former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld…formerly on the Board of Directors of Monsanto’s Searle pharmaceuticals), and penetrating our Departments (U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Anne Veneman was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto’s Calgene Corporation and U.S. Secretary of Health, Tommy Thompson, received $50,000 in donations from Monsanto during his winning campaign for Wisconsin’s governor).

If Monsanto continues to have powerful and influential friends in the government, it will be very hard (though not impossible) to instill change in the system.

In addition, while I was surfing around the Monsanto website, and found this extremely misleading video about their goals and vision: Monsanto.

If I had seen that video without seeing Food, Inc., I would have just assumed that Monsanto was an honest company invested in trying to make the world a better place one seed at a time.

Dr. S was right…I’ve definitely changed my eating habits since watching Food, Inc. I haven’t eaten meat since watching the documentary because I don’t know if Mary Washington’s meat is organic or not. Anyone know whether it is or not?

-Kristen Callahan

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. Kristen Callahan says:

Thanks for the comments! I definitely agree with everything that’s been said….especially that right now the world needs an informed consumer! At least now we are all informed and can make smarter decisions.

2. Izabela Sikora says:

Thank you for this post, this is very informative! and to add to what you have said, the honest company would like a publicity for their products (and its name) and take a part in the movie, by refusing to comment on the allegations made against them, it makes you wonder why.

3. Abigail Rogers says:

You make a good point about the Monsanto promotional video admitting “If I had seen that video without seeing Food, Inc., I would have just assumed that Monsanto was an honest company invested in trying to make the world a better place one seed at a time.”

We brainstormed in class possible explanations to the question “Why do you think people don’t know where their food comes from?” The results were reasons like: the current truth that government policy currently work AGAINST the citizen, people don’t want to know, or their not readily but make the lifestyle shift to less readably available more expensive chow costs. All true, but I think one we may have overlooked is that may Americans give in propaganda too willingly. I can completely empathize to this problem because of the simple fact that it’s just easier to think the best of people, the government in this case monopolizing corporations. But what this world really needs now is informed citizen who know when to step back from promotional material and ask: Who published this material? What are there motives? Can they be an accredited source? And if not, find out the truth and spread it.

4. Dr. Szulczewski says:

Great post- it feels very genuine, emotional, yet informative. The insidiousness of Monsanto’s actions really hit me in the gut, too!

5. kcallaha7 says:

I put the wrong link in for the Monsanto goals youtube video…this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-ChdL8BbY&feature=player_embedded